Driving in New Zealand
Driving in New Zealand is different from driving in other countries.
Find out what you need to know before getting behind the wheel.
- Campervans are often slower than other vehicles. Where it is safe, pull over to let other vehicles pass.
- If you are surrounded by sheep or stock on country roads, drive slowly and take your direction from the farmer.
- Make sure that you have plenty of sleep before a long drive. Take regular breaks and pull over if you feel sleepy.
- Don't leave valuables in your vehicle.
- In New Zealand, all motorists drive on the LEFT HAND SIDE of the road
- When approaching a roundabout, always give way to traffic on your right.
- When the traffic light is red, you must stop. There is no left turn rule as in North America
- Keep within speed limits. The maximum speed limit on open roads is 100km/h (approx 60m/h) and 50km/h in urban areas.
- Drivers and passengers must wear seat belts at all times, in both front and rear seats
- Do not drink and drive. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a crime in New Zealand.
- Driving while using a hand-held cellphone is illegal in New Zealand.
- It is illegal to pass other cars where there is a yellow line in the middle of the road. The yellow line indicates it is too dangerous to pass.
- You are required by law to carry your driver licence with you at all times.
- If you are cycling or motorcycling, helmets are compulsory.
International Driving Licences and Permits
Visit these websites for more infomation on driving in New Zealand.
I would like to take this opportunity and thank the entire team involved in executing this booking. Each and every thing was taken in care by the team.
Asmil Kaarandikar, India
We are back from New Zealand and we had a fantastic tour of our life! We started to miss New Zealand and we are planning to visit again in the near...
Mr Akira Ng & Ms Ruiling Peng, Singapore
The trip was very well organized & we enjoyed the trip so much. Thanks!
Jui Hui Yap, Singapore
We have completed our trip in the North Island of NZ and returned to Singapore last weekend. It was an enjoyable and fun itinerary planned by you .....
Joie Toh, Singapore
The guides and driver were very professional and accommodating. Many thanks for all the service!
Mr Regino, Manila
Thank you so much for organising our trip of a lifetime around New Zealand. Your tips and suggestions made the best use of our time and introduced us to...
Scott & Sue Wallace, Canada
We are back in India after a truly mesmerizing and wonderful two weeks tour of New Zealand. New Zealand is a very beautiful country with natural beauty...
Lokesh Narayan, India